Denver Mennonite Church (Denver, Pennsylvania, USA)
Denver Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), also known as the Denver Mennonite Meetinghouse, is located on the northeastern edge of this thriving borough of 1,800 in 1959 (population, 3,332 in 2000) in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Among the early settlers here were the John Bucher, Michael Bear, John Shirk, Jacob Polinger, and Huber families. In 1760 they were worshiping at Hershberger's farm on the west side of Union Station, hence known by his name. It was a part of the Hammer Creek Bishop District and the Indian town circuit. In 1877 a brick union church was built for the use of German Baptists, German (Old and New) Mennonites, German Lutheran and Reformed in Bucher's of East Cocalico, on a six weeks' schedule, one group meeting each six weeks. The Reformed and the Lutherans built in the borough in 1890 (separating from the others in 1912). On 8 May 1928, the New (Reformed) Mennonites, whose membership was never above 50, relinquished all rights to the house. The building was thoroughly renovated and Sunday-school rooms added, with an opening on 13 March 1955. An old cemetery adjoins. The membership in 1954 numbered 30, and Amos S. Horst was the bishop in charge at that time. In 1958 Isaac K. Sensenig was pastor, assisted by the Indiantown ministry, with a membership of 38.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Denver Mennonite Church (Denver, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Denver_Mennonite_Church_(Denver,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=80100.
Landis, Ira D. (1959). Denver Mennonite Church (Denver, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Denver_Mennonite_Church_(Denver,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=80100.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 39; vol. 4, p. 1075. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.