Esther Eby Glass was born 7 October 1911 in Denbigh, Virginia and moved to Lancaster, Pennsylvania when a teenager. She married Forrest Glass (8 June 1909-11 February 1968) on 15 March 1934. They became the parents of two children. Her writing appeared in most of the Mennonite Publishing House periodicals, beginning with a 24-chapter serial in the Youth's Christian Companion, 1948-1949. She wrote fiction (including several books for junior-age children), non-fiction, and curriculum (Sunday School literature) pieces. Some of her writing was done on assignment but most of it came out of reflections on her observations, concerns, and interests. She was a gifted Sunday School teacher and speaker. She was employed in the book department at the Provident Bookstore in Lancaster and helped at the Mennonite Information Center. She died 11 October 1972 and was buried in Mellinger Mennonite Church cemetery.
Springer, Nelson and Klassen, A. J., compilers, Mennonite Bibliography, 1631-1961, 2 vols. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1977: 446.
Rich, Elaine Sommers. Mennonite Women: A Story of God's Faithfulness, 1683-1983. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1983: 162.
>"Glass, Forrest Jefferies." Gospel Herald 61 (12 March 1968). Reproduced in MennObits. "Gospel Herald Obituary - March 1968." Accessed 27 January 2006. <http://www.mcusa-archives.org/MennObits/68/mar1968.html>
"Glass, Esther Eby." Gospel Herald 65 (5 December 1972). Reproduced in MennObits. "Gospel Herald Obituary - December 1972." Accessed 27 January 2006. <http://www.mcusa-archives.org/MennObits/72/dec1972.html>
 Cite This Article
Alderfer, Helen. "Glass, Esther Eby (1911-1972)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1987. Web. 28 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Glass,_Esther_Eby_(1911-1972)&oldid=111380.
Alderfer, Helen. (1987). Glass, Esther Eby (1911-1972). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Glass,_Esther_Eby_(1911-1972)&oldid=111380.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.