Hallman Mennonite Church (Ayr, Ontario, Canada)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Hallman Mennonite meetinghouse was located 1.5 km east of Roseville on the north side of Roseville Road, across from the cemetery. The founding leader was Jacob H. Detwiler who as trustee of the congregation purchased a plot of land in from Adam Unger in 1846 for $15. Meetings were held every four weeks, alternating with the Detweiler Mennonite Meetinghouse. Apparently there was some rivalry with the Detweiler group on the location of their respective buildings. The congregation ended about 1886 and the land was sold about 1890. During its existence, Hallman affiliated with the Mennonite Conference of Ontario.

Bibliography

Burkholder, L. J. A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario. Kitchener, Ont.: Mennonite Conference of Ontario, 1935: 104.

Good, E. Reginald. Detweiler: Detweiler's Meetinghouse, a History of Mennonites Near Roseville, Ontario. Roseville, ON: Detweiler Meetinghouse, Inc., 1999: 15-17.


Author(s) Sam Steiner
Date Published December 1995


Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Sam. "Hallman Mennonite Church (Ayr, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 1995. Web. 17 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hallman_Mennonite_Church_(Ayr,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=154175.

APA style

Steiner, Sam. (December 1995). Hallman Mennonite Church (Ayr, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hallman_Mennonite_Church_(Ayr,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=154175.




©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.