Both congregations were served until into the 19th century by unsalaried preachers. In the Waterlander congregation, which was much the smaller and had been receiving support from Amsterdam since 1709, the first known preacher was Douwe Abes Tichelaer, 1709-1746, and the last preacher was J. H. Costers (retired in 1854). The Jan Jacobsgezinden group was very strict regarding the ban and avoidance; the government finally intervened and in 1608 passed such severe regulations that the congregation spoke of being persecuted. Their first elders (1650) were Jacob Janssen and Cornelis Jannsen, who were permitted to conduct baptism and communion; they were assisted by two trial preachers (proefdienaars), from whose ranks the succeeding elders were chosen. Noted elders were Jacob Jobs 1769-1804, and Cornelis Sorgdrager 1793-1826, the latter of whom was the first to give religious instruction to the children.
In the middle of the 19th century a desire to have a trained minister became evident here; the two elders were aged, and none of the members was willing to be chosen to the office. The Algemene Doopsgezinde Sociëteit at Amsterdam sent proponents to help them in 1850-1852; then the congregation called K. S. Gorter as its minister, who served 1862-1895. In 1854, when J. H. Costers of the Waterlander congregation retired, all the Mennonites on Ameland were united for a time in a single congregation, which at this time numbered 175 members. In 1870 the congregation divided into three separate congregations, served by two preachers, one serving at Nes and one at Hollum and Ballum. Gorter was followed by the preachers A. Stiel 1898-1905, J. M. Erkelens 1906-1908, J. Loosjes 1909-1914, J. E. van Brakel 1914-1928, W. Schopenhauer 1928-1932, W. Broer 1933-1941, H. D. Woelinga from 1947 on. Since 1933 there had been only one minister on the island; he lived at Hollum and served the three congregations. In 1857, 16 members left the church to join the followers of the pietistic Jan de Liefde, who had founded a Free Evangelical Church on the island of Ameland.
A new meetinghouse was built in 1867. The members are partly farmers, partly navigators. The membership, 175 in 1854, was still 175 in 1900; since then it has steadily decreased to 113 in 1954. Church activities in the mid-20th century included a Bible circle, ladies' circle, and girls' club.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1861): 145 f.; (1868): 167; (1889): 1-50 passim; (1890): 1-38 passim.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 340 f.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
 Cite This Article
van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Hollum (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1954. Web. 10 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hollum_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=95293.
van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1954). Hollum (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hollum_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=95293.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.