Kodarma is a town in the Hazaribagh District, Bihar Province, India which had the first mission station of the Bihar Mennonite (Mennonite Conference) Mission. It was the most important center of the world's leading mica mines. It is located on a double track trunk line of the East Indian Railway running between Calcutta and Delhi, and connected by a black top road with the Grand Trunk Road, the most important Calcutta-Delhi highway. Kodarma was in the eastern end of the Mennonite mission field. It was transferred to the Mennonites by the Methodists, who formerly worked it, and was first occupied by the Mission when S. J. and Ida Hostetler family arrived there 29 January 1940, from Dhamtari, M.P. In January 1941 the M. C. Vogt family also came here from the Dhamtari area, and one or both of these families worked here until March 1947. The work done was direct evangelism, village school work, work with high-school boys, establishing and nurturing groups of believers, and medical aid. About 25 were baptized, mostly of the Turi caste, and several Muslims. Social ostracism and threats triggered by a remarkable case of healing scattered most of the Christians. When the Palamau field opened, the missionaries moved to Latehar, because it was a much more promising field. However, in 1957 the Kodarma field was still visited at intervals to keep contact with the Christians there. Dhan Masih Lakra and Anand Masih Topono and their wives were also workers in Palamau field.
|Author(s)||S. Jay Hostetler|
 Cite This Article
Hostetler, S. Jay. "Kodarma (Jharkhand, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 6 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kodarma_(Jharkhand,_India)&oldid=127601.
Hostetler, S. Jay. (1957). Kodarma (Jharkhand, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 6 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kodarma_(Jharkhand,_India)&oldid=127601.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.