From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Teunis Dirksz Kuyper of Huisduinen was a Dutch Mennonite preacher, at first on the island of Texel, then of the congregation of Huisduinen, of Haarlem (from 1668) and from 1670 of the Flemish congregation at Alkmaar. Here a quarrel arose in 1672, when Gerrit Jansz Veerom, who had been banned in Amsterdam, was called to the ministry at Alkmaar. In 1674 Kuyper with a number of followers separated from the main body, opening a "preeckhuys" near the Oude Veste, where Kuyper promised to allow "freedom of speech" according to Collegiant practice. But this separate group soon declined, chiefly because of the stubbornness of Kuyper. In 1683 he moved to Friesland, probably to Harlingen. Before his departure from Alkmaar, Kuyper published Verzoenschrift dienende om de Vereenigde Waterlanders en Vlamingen op de Koningswegh tot versoeninghe te brengen met de Waterlandsche Doopsgesinde op de Oude Veste tot Alckmaer (n.p., 1683).

[edit] Bibliography

Beknopte Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinde Gemeente te Alkmaar. Alkmaar, 1927: 24-27, 156.

Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1891): 4, 6, 8.

Visscher, H. and L. A. van Langeraad. Biographisch Woordenboek von Protestantsche Godgeleerden in Nederland. Utrecht, 1903-: V, 343 f.


Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Kuyper, Teunis Dirksz (17th century)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 2 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kuyper,_Teunis_Dirksz_(17th_century)&oldid=109012.

APA style

Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Kuyper, Teunis Dirksz (17th century). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kuyper,_Teunis_Dirksz_(17th_century)&oldid=109012.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 263. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.