The Mariental Mennonite Brethren Church, a subsidiary of the Rückenau Mennonite Brethren Church of South Russia, was established as a schism from the Alexandertal congregation. In 1887 Heinrich Ewert (preacher of the Mennonite Church), Johann Penner, and Jakob Hain joined the Mennonite Brethren following a visit to Rückenau. Gerhard Claassen (a teacher) joined them, as well as some other members; these organized a small congregation with a church in Mariental. They were then joined in 1896 by Johann Wiebe, the elder of the Mennonite Church, who became the elder of the small congregation. In 1900 Peter Köhn of Waldheim (a graduate of St. Chrischona, Switzerland) was called to preach for them; he soon realized that this group could not exist as a Mennonite Brethren congregation, and aided in reorganizing it as an Alliance congregation (Allianzgemeinde), so that members could be received without rebaptism. Köhn, who was held in high esteem by all groups, also found opportunity to preach in the Mennonite church. In 1907 Köhn returned to his native town because the small congregation was unable to support him. Then Jakob Töws was ordained elder (he had also previously been a Mennonite preacher) and served until he was banished to Siberia in 1925.
 Cite This Article
Harder, Bernhard. "Mariental Mennonite Brethren Church (Mariental, Samara Oblast, Russia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 4 Sep 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mariental_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Mariental,_Samara_Oblast,_Russia)&oldid=92588.
Harder, Bernhard. (1957). Mariental Mennonite Brethren Church (Mariental, Samara Oblast, Russia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 September 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mariental_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Mariental,_Samara_Oblast,_Russia)&oldid=92588.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.