McPherson (Kansas, USA)
McPherson, the county seat of McPherson County, Kansas, was founded in 1872. It became a trading center for the Mennonites who settled in the county in the early 1870s. From 1898 to 1905 the German Department of McPherson College operated by the Church of the Brethren was staffed by the Mennonite Brethren in return for the use of the college facilities by Mennonite Brethren students, 249 of them attending the college in this period. This experience later led to the founding of Tabor College in Hillsboro.
W. J. Krehbiel (General Conference Mennonite), the son of J. J. Krehbiel of Newton, Kansas, bought the McPherson Daily Republican in 1899 and operated it until 1944. His son Kenneth took over this publication. In 1906 John J. Wall and Herman Rogalsky, who had operated a mill in Buhler since 1897, founded the Wall-Rogalsky Milling Company in McPherson, transferring their interests from Buhler. This concern was still doing business in 1957. The First Mennonite Church (GCM) was the only Mennonite church in the city limits. It was at first a home mission project of the Western District Conference and was organized as a church on 29 July 1945. In 1955 it reported 142 members. Pastors were Roland P. Goering and Henry Goossen. The church building was dedicated 30 October 1949.
Krehbiel, W. J. History of One Branch of the Krehbiel Family. McPherson, KS, 1950.
Peters, H. P. History and Development of Education Among the Mennonites in Kansas. Hillsboro, KS, 1925.
Regier, Louis R. and Harold M. "The Buhler Mill and Elevator Company." Mennonite Life 8 (April 1953): 82.
|Author(s)||John F Schmidt|
Cite This Article
Schmidt, John F. "McPherson (Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 13 Dec 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=McPherson_(Kansas,_USA)&oldid=92676.
Schmidt, John F. (1957). McPherson (Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 December 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=McPherson_(Kansas,_USA)&oldid=92676.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 433. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.