Mennonite Historical Library (Bluffton College)
Mennonite Historical Library of Bluffton College is a collection of books, periodicals, microfilm, pictures, vertical file material, etc., by and about Mennonites, concerning their history, doctrine, and culture. It was especially designed to serve the Mennonite constituency of Bluffton College, viz., the Eastern, Central, and Middle District conferences of the General Conference Mennonite Church, but is open to anyone who desires to use its materials.
The collecting of materials for the Mennonite Historical Library was begun by C. Henry Smith (died 1948). About 1928 Edna Hanley, then librarian of Bluffton College, began to arrange the material as a separate collection. Especially significant in the growth of the library was the accession of the Grubb Collection of Mennonite History, the lifetime collection of Mennonite materials by father and son, Nathaniel B. Grubb and Silas M. Grubb of Philadelphia, PA, and the C. H. Smith Collection of Mennonite History donated by C. Henry Smith in 1943.
In 1957 the entire collection contained approximately 4,000 books, files of about 250 Mennonite periodicals, about 6,000 frames of microfilm and other materials as maps, clippings, etc. The Library was particularly strong in materials on Swiss, South German, and Eastern American Mennonite materials and also Mennonite family histories.
|Author(s)||Delbert L Gratz|
Cite This Article
Gratz, Delbert L. "Mennonite Historical Library (Bluffton College)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 Aug 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Historical_Library_(Bluffton_College)&oldid=89741.
Gratz, Delbert L. (1957). Mennonite Historical Library (Bluffton College). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 August 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Historical_Library_(Bluffton_College)&oldid=89741.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.