Meridian Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church, located two miles east and two north of Hesston, McPherson County, KS, was organized by David S. Holdeman soon after he moved to this area from Indiana in 1873. Religious services were at first held in his home and later in the district schoolhouse. He was a benefactor of the community in various ways. In 1874, when many Mennonites immigrated from Russia to Kansas, he was chosen treasurer of the Kansas Relief Committee. His sons John A. and Daniel B. were ordained to the ministry in 1882. A church was built in 1907 and enlarged in 1921 to a seating capacity of 300. It was replaced in 1953 by a new church, capacity 450. Nine ministers and four deacons have been ordained by the congregation, of whom the following are serving in 1957: Frank H. Wenger, Harry D. Wenger, Paul D. Wenger, and Milferd Wenger, ministers, and A. L. Yost, Orville E. Wiggers, and G. H. Dyck as deacons. The background of its members was largely Pennsylvania-German. The ministry is unsalaried. Religious services consisted of Sunday morning and evening worship services, midweek Bible study, and Sunday school. The Sunday school was organized in 1909. Feetwashing with close communion is practiced. The membership in 1957 was 194.
|Author(s)||A. L Yost|
 Cite This Article
Yost, A. L. "Meridian Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Hesston, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 Apr 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Meridian_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_Church_(Hesston,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=89860.
Yost, A. L. (1957). Meridian Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church (Hesston, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 April 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Meridian_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_Church_(Hesston,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=89860.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.