Miller Mennonite Church (Washington-Franklin Mennonite Conference), located near Leitersburg, Maryland, was established in 1765. After services had been held in private homes for many years, a stone meetinghouse was built by Martin Bachtel (their minister) upon his farm near Fiddlersburg, which served until 1835, when a stone church was built on the present site, donated by Jacob Miller, which was surrounded by many families of the Miller name. The brick church was built in 1926. The bishop in 1835 was Peter Eshleman, ordained in 1828.
Ministers who have served the congregation were Christian Strite, ordained 1850; Jacob Oberholtzer, 1863; Adam Baer, 1876; his son Henry H. Baer, 1883; J. C. Miller, 1893; D. M. Strite, 1901; John D. Risser, 1920. M. K. Horst was serving as bishop in 1954.
Sunday school has been conducted there since 1893.
In 1956 the congregation's membership was 183, with Daniel M. Strite and Samuel L. Martin as ministers.
In 2014 the church was led by Ministers Shelley W. Graybill, Ronald L. Hostetter, and Stephen L. Martin and Deacons J. Norman Diller and Nathan H. Diller. Membership was 197.
Mennonite Church Directory 2014. Harrisonburg, VA: Christian Light Publications, Inc., 2014: 141.
 Additional Information
|Author(s)||John D Risser|
 Cite This Article
Risser, John D. "Miller Mennonite Church (Leitersburg, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 Sep 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Miller_Mennonite_Church_(Leitersburg,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=117166.
Risser, John D. (1957). Miller Mennonite Church (Leitersburg, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 September 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Miller_Mennonite_Church_(Leitersburg,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=117166.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.