The Newlinville Mennonite Church emerged from a summer Bible school program held by the Coatesville Mennonite Church among African Americans in Coatesville, Pennsylvania. A multiracial congregation started in 1946. By 1951 there were nine members, with pastoral leadership supplied by neighboring Mennonite churches. Elmer D. Leaman was ordained to serve the congregation in March 1952, and provided pastoral leadership until 1967 when he was ordained as bishop for the Millwood district of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. Harold Engel began service as pastor in 1968. Newlinville's membership has always been small, never exceeding the mid-40s.
In 2011 the membership was 26; the pastors were Harold Engel and James M. Westmoreland.
Bechler, Le R. The Black Mennonite Church in North America, 1886-1986. Scottdale, Pa.: Herald Press, 1986: 176.
"Leaman, Elmer." Gospel Herald 65 (14 November 1972). Reproduced in MennObits. “Gospel Herald Obituary - November 1972." Web. 3 December 2011. http://www.mcusa-archives.org/mennobits/72/nov1972.html.
Mennonite Yearbook (various years).
 Additional Information
Address: 145 Doe Run Road, Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320-4279
|Date Published||December 2011|
 Cite This Article
Steiner, Sam. "Newlinville Mennonite Church (Coatesville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2011. Web. 2 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Newlinville_Mennonite_Church_(Coatesville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116784.
Steiner, Sam. (December 2011). Newlinville Mennonite Church (Coatesville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Newlinville_Mennonite_Church_(Coatesville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116784.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.