Oraibi Mennonite Mission (Oraibi, Arizona, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Oraibi (Arizona) Mennonite Mission (General Conference Mennonite) was established among the Hopi People in northern Arizona in 1893. H. R. Voth was the first missionary. Others serving in the formative period of the mission were J. B. Epp and J. B. Frey. Later the work was expanded to include the two villages of Hotevilla, 7 miles (12 km) west of Oraibi, and Moen Copi (Tuba City), 45 miles (55 km) west of Hotevilla. By 1929 the membership of the Hopi missions had reached 32 and by 1935 the number was 42. In 1957 12 missionaries were serving in the three stations, 8 of whom were at Oraibi.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Oraibi Mennonite Mission (Oraibi, Arizona, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 23 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oraibi_Mennonite_Mission_(Oraibi,_Arizona,_USA)&oldid=76689.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). Oraibi Mennonite Mission (Oraibi, Arizona, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oraibi_Mennonite_Mission_(Oraibi,_Arizona,_USA)&oldid=76689.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 72. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.