Peake Mennonite Church (formerly Mennonite Church (MC), now Southeastern Mennonite Conference), located 2 miles northwest of Hinton, VA, a rural mission church of the Middle District of the Virginia Mennonite Conference, began in 1915 when a Sunday school was organized in a schoolhouse in this highland area. A congregation was established in 1923. Kent Shank and Joseph A. Brunk, active Sunday-school workers, asked permission of the Middle District Council to build the meetinghouse. This was granted if the necessary funds could be raised. H. B. Keener followed by Snively Martin served as pastors of this church for many years; James Shank served here 1947-57. Dewitt Heatwole was the pastor in 1958 with a membership of 47.
In 2014 the congregation had 76 members and was served by Bishop Nathan Horst, Ministers Elam S. Heatwole and Jay W. Rohrer, and Deacon Samuel Goering.
 Additional Information
Address: 8613 War Branch Road, Hinton, VA
|Author(s)||Harry A Brunk|
 Cite This Article
Brunk, Harry A. "Peake Mennonite Church (Hinton, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 30 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Peake_Mennonite_Church_(Hinton,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=117516.
Brunk, Harry A. (1959). Peake Mennonite Church (Hinton, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Peake_Mennonite_Church_(Hinton,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=117516.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.