Pigeon River Mennonite Church (formerly Pigeon River Conservative Mennonite Church), located near Pigeon, Huron County, Michigan, several miles south of Saginaw Bay, a member of the Conservative Mennonite Conference, had its beginning in 1900 when several Conservative Amish Mennonite families from Croghan, New York, moved into this community. M. S. Zehr, one of this group, was ordained to the ministry. With several families who came from Ontario in 1902 they organized a Sunday school in that year under the leadership of Jacob M. Bender, bishop of the Ontario group. Solomon J. Swartzendruber, bishop, had charge of the work in 1904, when a meeting house was built. This church was enlarged in 1909 and replaced by a new one in 1957. The membership in 1957 was 275, including three mission outposts conducted by the congregation. Former ministers were S. J. Swartzendruber, M. S. Zehr, Jacob Yoder, Dan Shetler, Edwin Albrecht, Raymond Byler, and Emanuel Swartzendruber, bishop. The ministers in 1957 were Willard R. Mayer, bishop, and Earl J. Maust, minister.
In 2011 the leading minister was Alvin Yoder and the congregational membership was 190.
Anabaptist (Mennonite) Directory 2011. Harrisonburg, VA: The Sword and Trumpet, 2011: 53.
 Additional Information
Address: Box 648, Pigeon MI 48755-0648
Location: 7120 Geiger Road, Pigeon, MI 48755
Website: Pigeon River Mennonite Church
|Author(s)||Earl J. Maust|
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||April 2012|
 Cite This Article
Maust, Earl J. and Richard D. Thiessen. "Pigeon River Mennonite Church (Pigeon, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2012. Web. 28 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pigeon_River_Mennonite_Church_(Pigeon,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113860.
Maust, Earl J. and Richard D. Thiessen. (April 2012). Pigeon River Mennonite Church (Pigeon, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pigeon_River_Mennonite_Church_(Pigeon,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113860.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.