From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Poppingawier, a village in the Dutch province of Friesland, where there has been a Mennonite congregation since earliest times. It was usually united with the Irnsum congregation. Only in 1871-1879 did it have its own preacher (J. J. Honig 1871-75, G. Vrijer 1875-79). Nothing is known of its early history. Until 1848, when a church was built, the congregation met in a private home. The baptized membership in 1899 was 95, and in 1958 it was 41.

[edit] Bibliography

Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1870): 140 note, 152; (1872): 191; (1887): 147.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 383.


Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Poppingawier (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 16 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Poppingawier_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=109904.

APA style

Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Poppingawier (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Poppingawier_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=109904.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 203. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.