Potzbach, a somewhat remote village in the northern Palatinate, Germany, between Otterberg and Winnweiler, where since the beginning of the 18th century several Mennonite families had been located who were members of the Sembach Mennonite congregation. Deacon "Weissebutzbach," who is named by Ernst Müller (Berner Täufer, 212), was Hans Weiss of Potzbach, who was one of the first leaders and deacons of the Sembach congregation. Until 1784 there was a Mennonite cemetery in Potzbach. The group here has greatly declined, partly through emigration and partly through mixed marriages and transfers of memberships to other churches. Some families, such as Beutler and Fuchs, have died out. In 1951 the names Bally, Blickensdörfer, and Krehbiel were still represented.
Crous, Ernst. "Mennoniten im Regierungsbezirk Trier 1827-1870." Mennonitischer Gemeinde-Kalender (1940): 62-73.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 386.
 Cite This Article
Hein, Gerhard. "Potzbach (Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 30 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Potzbach_(Rheinland-Pfalz,_Germany)&oldid=118683.
Hein, Gerhard. (1959). Potzbach (Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Potzbach_(Rheinland-Pfalz,_Germany)&oldid=118683.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.