Prairie Rose Evangelical Mennonite Church (Landmark, Manitoba, Canada)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Prairie Rose Evangelical Mennonite congregation began services in 1920. The first building was occupied in 1920 with subsequent building programs in 1944 and 1963. H. R. Reimer is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization from the Steinbach area in a search for more land.

The congregation has been affiliated with the Evangelical Mennonite Conference. The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1940s-1950s.

The church building was completely destroyed by fire 27 June 1963.

Bibliography

Canadian Mennonite (28 June 1963): 3; (21 January 1964): 3.

The Messenger (13 May 1988): 4.

Archival Records

Church records at church and the Evangelical Mennonite Conference Archives.

Additional Information

Location: Highway 210, 1/2 km west of the corner of Highway 206 and Highway 210

Mailing Address: Box 130, Landmark, MB R0A 0X0

Phone: 204-355-4511

Website: Prairie Rose Evangelical Mennonite Church

Denominational Affiliation: Evangelical Mennonite Conference

Membership at Markham Chinese Mennonite Church

Year Membership
1960 282
1965 297
1970 260
1975 315
1980 346
1985 355
1990 353
1995 356
2000 409
2005 444
2010 357
2015 193

Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By David P. Reimer. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 209. All rights reserved.

Prairie Rose Evangelical Mennonite Church (Kleine Gemeinde) is located near Lorette, Manitoba, in a different municipality (county) from the other three church districts, about halfway between Steinbach and Winnipeg. This district was settled in 1918-1919, by rural people of the other districts, with Heinrich R. Reimer as minister. Two others, Bernhard D. Reimer and Franz D. Reimer, both sons of H. R. Reimer, were later elected as ministers. Bernhard D. Reimer left this district and moved to the Steinbach district. In later years Abram P. Unger and Vernon Reimer were elected as ministers, and Franz D. Reimer was ordained as bishop. A modern meetinghouse has been erected. The baptized membership in 1957 was 285 (besides 275 not baptized). A German young people's meeting was held every four weeks, alternating with an English young people's meeting also held every four weeks.


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Date Published February 1989


Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene. "Prairie Rose Evangelical Mennonite Church (Landmark, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 1989. Web. 13 Dec 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Prairie_Rose_Evangelical_Mennonite_Church_(Landmark,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=156126.

APA style

Epp, Marlene. (February 1989). Prairie Rose Evangelical Mennonite Church (Landmark, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 December 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Prairie_Rose_Evangelical_Mennonite_Church_(Landmark,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=156126.




©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.