Jump to: navigation, search

The South Washington Mennonite Church (Central Conference), now extinct, was organized in 1895 as a schism from the East Washington church when the bishop of the congregation, Michael Kinsinger, withdrew with about 100 members because of the German language question; they built their own meetinghouse about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) south of the mother church. The maximum membership was about 40 in 1921. In 1937 the congregation of some 75 members reunited with the mother congregation, which had moved into the town of Washington, Illinois, in 1925 and renamed itself Calvary Mennonite Church. John J. Kennel was pastor 1912-1932.

Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1959

[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "South Washington Mennonite Church (Washington, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 May 2016.,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=112658.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1959). South Washington Mennonite Church (Washington, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2016, from,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=112658.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1127. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.

©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.