Steigerwald, Henry P. (1870-1929)
Henry P. Steigerwald was a Brethren in Christ missionary who served as bishop of the Brethren in Christ church in the Rhodesias (Zimbabwe and Zambia) during his years in Africa (1901-1928). Born in Ashland, Ohio, and married to Grace Pugh (1893), Steigerwald was ordained bishop of the fledgling Rhodesian missionary work (begun 1898) before he left the United States. Bishop Steigerwald gave leadership to the first major expansion of the missionary endeavor. Six new stations were opened: Mapane (1904), Mtshabezi (1906), Macha (1906), Mandamabge (1911, but soon abandoned), Sikalongo (1916), and Wanezi (1924). He placed strong emphasis on evangelism and education. The first African Brethren in Christ Conference was held in 1919, the first African overseers were appoointed in 1921, and the first African deacons elected in the following year. The positive response to the gospel is reflected in the fact that, by 1919, there were about 450 church members and approximately 800 in the catechumens' class. Bishop Steigerwald was a man of vision, mature judgment, and humility—all aspects of his leadership gifts.
Davidson, Frances H. South and South Central Africa. Elgin, IL: Brethren Publishing House, 1915.
Engle, Anna R, John A. Climenhaga, and Leoda A. Buckwalter. There Is No Difference. Nappanee, 1950.
"Translated." Evangelical Visitor (4 February 1929): 15.
|Author(s)||Martin H Schrag|
Cite This Article
Schrag, Martin H. "Steigerwald, Henry P. (1870-1929)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1989. Web. 22 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Steigerwald,_Henry_P._(1870-1929)&oldid=77906.
Schrag, Martin H. (1989). Steigerwald, Henry P. (1870-1929). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Steigerwald,_Henry_P._(1870-1929)&oldid=77906.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 5, p. 857. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.