From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Toronto, Ontario, the second largest city of Canada (1956 Greater Toronto population 1,358,028; 2006 Greater Toronto Area population 5,113,149), is a manufacturing and export center on western Lake Ontario. It is known as "a city of churches." Five Mennonite churches and missions, with a total membership of 140, were located in the city in the 1950s. As early as 1907 the Mennonite Church (MC) began mission activity in the city, which resulted in the Danforth Mennonite Church (MC), with 25 members in 1958. Mennonite Brethren and General Conference Mennonites moved into the city later to work and to study. The Mennonite Brethren organized the Willowdale Christian Fellowship (later Yorkdale Community Church) in 1957, which had 18 members in 1958. The Toronto United Mennonite Church (GCM), started in 1948, had a membership of 66 in 1958. Warden Park Mennonite Church (MC) (later Warden Woods Mennonite Church), organized in 1955, had a membership of 23. Morningside Mennonite Church (MC) was started as a mission in 1948. Ellesmere Mennonite Church (MC), started in 1946, was closed in 1958.


Author(s) John H Hess
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Hess, John H. "Toronto (Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 29 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Toronto_(Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=78247.

APA style

Hess, John H. (1959). Toronto (Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Toronto_(Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=78247.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 739. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.