When the Mennonite churches in Paraguay joined the General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM) of North America in 1948 the latter sent a representative to Paraguay to supervise the distribution of financial and other resources supplied from North America. The congregations in Paraguay thereupon formed a Vermittlungskomitee (liaison committee) to promote spiritual life, to distribute funds equitably, and to select young people for further education.
Through this committee the congregations in Paraguay were united in a new way, including those in Neuland and Volendam who were in particular need of financial help. Select students received help to study in theology and in medicine. The school in Menno Colony received support and the congregation in Asunción received several ministers from North America. Teachers were also sent to Paraguay, as were subscriptions to Der Bote and Der Kinderbote. Mission work was begun in Cambyreta, in Villa Hayes and at Kilometer 81 (Centro de Salud Menonita, a hospital for victims of Hansen's Disease [leprosy]). The Vermittlungskomitee was also responsible for the founding of the Vereinigung der Mennonitengemeinden in Paraguay (GCM) in 1967, after which the Vermittlungskomitee ceased to function. The committee had only one chairman, Elder Jacob Isaak of Fernheim (1950-1967).
Pannabecker, Samuel Floyd. Open Doors: History of the General Conference Mennonite Church. Newton, KS: Faith and Life, 1975: 240.
 Cite This Article
Wiens, Peter. "Vermittlungskomitee." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1989. Web. 29 Jan 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Vermittlungskomitee&oldid=78479.
Wiens, Peter. (1989). Vermittlungskomitee. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 January 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Vermittlungskomitee&oldid=78479.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.