Voth, Henry R. (1855-1931)
Henry R. Voth, a Mennonite (General Conference Mennonite) minister, missionary, anthropologist, and home mission worker, was born 15 April 1855 in South Russia. He came to America in 1874 and after teaching school the first winter entered the Wadsworth School in Ohio in preparation for mission work. He later attended the theological seminary of the Evangelical Synod of North America at Marthasville, Missouri. After a short medical course in St. Louis he was sent to Darlington, Indian Territory, to work among the Cheyenne and Arapaho Indians. His wife, Barbara Baer, whom he married in 1884, died there in 1889. In 1892 he was sent to Arizona, to open a new mission field among the Hopi Indians. His second wife, Martha Moser of Dalton, Ohio, died in Arizona in 1901.
During his nine years in Arizona, Voth developed an intimate acquaintance with the Hopi Indians, collecting much original material relative to Indian religious life and folklore that was later displayed in the Field Museum, Chicago. He collaborated with George A. Dorsey in certain studies of the Hopis. He also wrote a number of original monographs published in the Anthropological Series of the Field Columbian Museum. Ed. G. Kaufman lists the following publications written by Voth and published in this series:
- Brief Miscellaneous Hopi Papers, 1912, vol. XI, No. 2;
- Hopi Proper Names, 1905, vol. VI, No. 3;
- The Oraibi Marau Ceremony, 1912, vol. XI, No. 1;
- Oraibi Natal Customs and Ceremonies, 1905, vol. VI, No. 2;
- The Oraibi Oaquoel Ceremony, 1903, vol. VI, No. 1;
- The Oraibi Powamu Ceremony, 1901, vol. III, No. 2;
- The Oraibi Summer Snake Ceremony, 1903, vol. III, No. 4;
- The Traditions of the Hopi, 1915, vol. VIII;
- H. R. Voth joint author with G. A. Dorsey, The Mishongnovi Ceremonies of Snake and Antelope Fraternities, 1901, vol. III, No. 3;
- Voth & Dorsey, The Oraibi Soyal Ceremony, 1901, vol. III, No. 1.
Kaufman, Ed. G. The Development of the Missionary and Philanthropic Interest Among the Mennonites of North America. Berne, 1931.
The Mennonite (June 25, 1931).
Thiesen, Barbara. "Every Beginning Is Hard: Darlington Mennonite Mission, 1880-1902." Mennonite Life 61, No. 2 (June 2006). http://www.bethelks.edu/mennonitelife/2006June/thiesen.php (accessed 28 November 2008).
|Author(s)||John F Schmidt|
Cite This Article
Schmidt, John F. "Voth, Henry R. (1855-1931)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 Sep 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Voth,_Henry_R._(1855-1931)&oldid=143374.
Schmidt, John F. (1959). Voth, Henry R. (1855-1931). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 September 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Voth,_Henry_R._(1855-1931)&oldid=143374.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.