Allensville (Pennsylvania, USA)
Allensville, Pennsylvania is a village located in Menno Township about eight miles from the southwest end of the Kishacoquillas Valley in Mifflin County in the central part of Pennsylvania. The first settlers in this valley were Scottish-Irish and arrived during the late summer of 1754. The village was laid out in lots in 1806 and was first named Horrelton, for Christopher Horrel, who opened the first store at that place. In 1831 a post office was established there and named Allensville, for a family by that name about which little is known. The population in 2006 was approximately 760.
The village is located in the center of an Amish settlement made up of Amish Mennonites and Old Order Amish. The first Amish Mennonites arrived in this area about 1760, the first church being organized during the latter half of the 18th century. The Allensville Mennonite Meetinghouse, serving a membership of 323 in 1955, was located one mile east of the village. The Old Order Amish hold their worship services in private residences. About 15 percent of the Amish Mennonites lived in the village, the total number of Amish and Old Order Amish Mennonites of the settlement was approximately five hundred in 1955.
Peachey, Samuel W. Amish of Kishacoquillas Valley. Scottdale, PA, 1930.
|Author(s)||Ellrose D Zook|
Cite This Article
Zook, Ellrose D. "Allensville (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 20 Aug 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Allensville_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=132595.
Zook, Ellrose D. (1955). Allensville (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 August 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Allensville_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=132595.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, pp. 56-57. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.