Arnaud (Manitoba, Canada)
Arnaud is a village located about five miles (eight km) east and one mile (1.5 km) south of Morris, Manitoba, across the Red River on the Soo Line (Canadian Pacific Railway) to Minneapolis, Minnesota, and about 40 miles (65 km) south of Winnipeg. Population of the village in the 1950s was about 100; within a three-mile radius there was an additional population of many Mennonites who purchased farms from English, Scottish and Irish settlers in the years 1924-1927. The farm land near Arnaud is low-lying but under normal conditions the heavy black loam yields good returns. In the 1950s there were two grain elevators, two implement shops and garages combined, two general stores, two Mennonite churches, the membership of which was about half Mennonite and half Mennonite Brethren, a public school with primary and grade 11 classes, which takes care of educational requirements, and a railway station and post office.
|Author(s)||H. H Hamm|
Cite This Article
Hamm, H. H. "Arnaud (Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 18 Mar 2019. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Arnaud_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=74937.
Hamm, H. H. (1953). Arnaud (Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 March 2019, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Arnaud_(Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=74937.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 161. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.