First Mennonite Church (Nappanee, Indiana, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

First Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located at 900 West Market St., Nappanee, Indiana, first known as the Amish Mennonite Church and later as the West Market Street Mennonite Church. It was a member of the Middle District Conference (now part of the Central District Conference). Before 1923 the congregation was a member of the Mennonite Church (MC). The congregation was organized in 1875 after groups of settlers had met for worship in homes and schoolhouses since 1853. The first meetinghouse was erected in 1878, rebuilt in 1910, and remodelled in 1926 and 1955, a frame structure with a seating capacity of about 250. In 1955 the membership was 164, with Earl L. Salzman as pastor. In 2005 the membership was 87.

Bibliography

Roth, Elva May Schrock. 75th anniversary edition of the history of the First Mennonite Church, Nappanee, Indiana. Nappenee, Indiana: First Mennonite Church, 1950. Available in full electronic text at: https://archive.org/details/75thanniversarye00roth_0.


Author(s) Jacob J Enz
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Enz, Jacob J. "First Mennonite Church (Nappanee, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 16 Oct 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Mennonite_Church_(Nappanee,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=163524.

APA style

Enz, Jacob J. (1957). First Mennonite Church (Nappanee, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 October 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=First_Mennonite_Church_(Nappanee,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=163524.




©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.