Kiowa County (Kansas, USA)
Kiowa County, Kansas (1957 population 4,730; 2000 population 1,622) is located in the south central part of the state. The Mennonites in the community in the 1950s were largely farmers living in the south half of the county. There were three branches of Mennonites in the area. The Church of God in Christ, Mennonite were the first group of Mennonites to come to the county, coming from Marion and McPherson counties in 1906. They had a country church (Bethel) of approximately 80 members.
Various Mennonite families who came to this community around 1908 and after organized the (Old) Mennonite Church in Greensburg in 1932. Its 1955 membership of 75 came from seven different denominational backgrounds. The Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (MC) of Elkhart, Indiana in the 1950s operated a 24-bed general hospital in Greensburg, which was the only Mennonite institution in the county. The Faith Mennonite Church (affliated with the General Conference Mennonite Church) was organized in 1948 and had a membership of 31 in 1955.
Cite This Article
Janzen, Samuel. "Kiowa County (Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 17 Oct 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kiowa_County_(Kansas,_USA)&oldid=120362.
Janzen, Samuel. (1957). Kiowa County (Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 October 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kiowa_County_(Kansas,_USA)&oldid=120362.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 178. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.