Maxwell Hutterite Colony (Scotland, South Dakota, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Maxwell Hutterite Bruderhof near Scotland, Hutchinson County, South Dakota, was founded in 1900. Joseph Wipf, who had been chosen preacher in the Bon Homme Bruderhof in 1891, moved with 17 families to Maxwell and settled the colony there. Wipf was born in Russia, and died in 1917. Samuel Hofer was chosen preacher in 1911. In 1918 the Bruderhof sold its property and settled the Maxwell Bruderhof near Pigeon Lake, Manitoba. In 1947 the New Elm Springs Bruderhof bought this site and rebuilt it.

Daughter colonies of the Maxwell Hutterite Colony include: Lake View Hutterite Colony (Lake Andres, South Dakota, USA); and Spring Creek Hutterite Colony (Forbes, North Dakota, USA).

In 2017 the Maxwell Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony.

Additional Information

Location

Scotland, South Dakota (coordinates: 43.1822 -97.63488  [43° 10' 56" N, 97° 38' 06" W])

Address

42805 Maxwell Rd., Scotland, SD 57059-7200

Switchboard Phone

605.583.2821

Managers and Ministers

Manager Minister Years
Mark Hofer John Wipf 1999
Mark Hofer John Wipf 2000
Mark Hofer Ernest Hofer 2001
Mark Hofer Ernest Hofer 2018

Maps

Map:Glenway Hutterite Colony, Dominion City, Manitoba


Author(s) David Decker
Bert Friesen
Date Published June 2018


Cite This Article

MLA style

Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Maxwell Hutterite Colony (Scotland, South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2018. Web. 20 Aug 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Maxwell_Hutterite_Colony_(Scotland,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=160830.

APA style

Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (June 2018). Maxwell Hutterite Colony (Scotland, South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 August 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Maxwell_Hutterite_Colony_(Scotland,_South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=160830.




©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.