Oak Grove Mennonite Church (Grantsville, Maryland, USA)
Oak Grove Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) located 2 miles (3 km) west of Grantsville, MD, on top of Negro Mountain, a member of the Allegheny Conference, was started as a Sunday school in a log schoolhouse. The first members were received in 1888. The first meetinghouse was built in 1900 and remodeled in 1954. The church membership reached 45 in 1920 and then gradually declined. After 1950 the work was revived and in 1957 there were 30 members, with A. C. Walls as pastor.
In 2016 the Oak Grove congregation left the Allegheny Conference and joined the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. This move was part of a larger realignment of Mennonite congregations formerly part of Mennonite Church USA. These congregations were unhappy with Mennonite Church USA's failure to take stronger disciplinary actions against area conferences and congregations who expressed openness to inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons. The Lancaster Mennonite Conference took action in 2015 to withdraw from Mennonite Church USA by the end of 2017, and became an attractive alternative for these congregations.
"'Salt and Light': Fall Faith and Life Gathering." A M C News September-December 2015. Web. 29 May 2017. http://www.alleghenymennoniteconference.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/September-December-2015.pdf
Address: 188 Zener Road, Grantsville, Maryland 21536
|Author(s)||Claude R Beachy|
Cite This Article
Beachy, Claude R and Sam Steiner. "Oak Grove Mennonite Church (Grantsville, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 17 Dec 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oak_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Grantsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=161055.
Beachy, Claude R and Sam Steiner. (1957). Oak Grove Mennonite Church (Grantsville, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 December 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Oak_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Grantsville,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=161055.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.