Osterwick Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Osterwick, Manitoba, Canada)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Osterwick Sommerfeld Mennonite congregation began services in 1914. The congregation originated through division from Bergthaler Mennonites and later immigration from the Soviet Union.

Initially this congregation met at Waldheim, but the church building was moved on to a new basemet at Osteriwck in 1949. Sunday school began in 1952, and membership peaked at about 150. The language of worship was German.

 After the division in the Sommerfeld congregation in 1958, many members joined the Reinland congregation. The church suffered, and services ended in January 1966. The congregation donated its building to the Stuartburn congregation in 1967.

The church building was closed down and moved to  in 1967.


Bergen, Peter. History of the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church: That is the Background and First Hundred Years of the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church. Altona, MB: Sommerfeld Mennonite Church, 2001: 206.

Peters, Jake. "An Annotated Bibliography of Materials Relating to the Sommerfelder Mennonite Church." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1979. Mennonite Heritage Centre.

Author(s) Marlene Epp
Date Published September 1986

Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene. "Osterwick Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Osterwick, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 1986. Web. 18 Aug 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Osterwick_Sommerfeld_Mennonite_Church_(Osterwick,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=93219.

APA style

Epp, Marlene. (September 1986). Osterwick Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Osterwick, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 August 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Osterwick_Sommerfeld_Mennonite_Church_(Osterwick,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=93219.

©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.