Schoenwiese Mennonite Church (Petersfield, Manitoba, Canada)
The Schoenwiese Mennonite Church (Schoenwieser Mennoniten Gemeinde) at Petersfield, Manitoba began services in 1937. From 1929 until 1937, as recent Mennonite immigrants from the Soviet Union settled on previously uncultivated land in this district just 65 km north of Winnipeg, no regular worship services occurred. When Schoenwieser members Gerhard Epp and Heinrich Epp moved to Petersfield with their families in 1937, regular services and contact with the Schoenwieser Mennonite Church were established. Gerhard H. Epp was elected as minister. Gerhard Klassen, a Mennonite Brethren member, gave leadership to developing a Sunday school and German language instruction, and also preached. The language of worship was German. Although the group remained small in numbers, they were a blessing to the larger Schoenwieser group, and the larger Schoenwiese group were a blessing to them.
The settlement and congregation withered and dissolved as the road system made access to Winnipeg easier. Some member joined First Mennonite Church in Winnipeg, while others moved away or joined other churches.
Klassen, Is. Dem Herrn die Ehre: Schoenwieser Mennoniten Gemeinde von Manitoba, 1924-1968. Altona, MB: The Conference, 1969: 111-115.
Denominational Affiliations: Mennonite Church Manitoba
Conference of Mennonites in Canada / Mennonite Church Canada
|Date Published||November 2015|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Alf Redekopp. "Schoenwiese Mennonite Church (Petersfield, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 2015. Web. 22 Aug 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Schoenwiese_Mennonite_Church_(Petersfield,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=136047.
Epp, Marlene and Alf Redekopp. (November 2015). Schoenwiese Mennonite Church (Petersfield, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 August 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Schoenwiese_Mennonite_Church_(Petersfield,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=136047.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.