Allen County, OH US Census TIGER/Line map
Allen County, Ohio
, is located in the northwestern section of the state and was formed in 1820. It consists of fertile farming land, once covered with hardwood forests. Lima, with a population of approximately 39,000 in 2004, is the county seat. There are two substantial Mennonite communities in the county, a Swiss group in the northeastern part around Bluffton
; and another in the southwestern corner in the region of Elida
, established by immigrants largely from Virginia
and Fairfield County
, Ohio. In Bluffton is Bluffton University
, which is affiliated with the Mennonite Church USA. A Reformed Mennonite
congregation is located several miles west of Bluffton. In Lima are two Mennonite congregations, both part of the Mennonite Church USA.
|| C. Henry Smith
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Smith, C. Henry. "Allen County (Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 20 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Allen_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=90803.
Smith, C. Henry. (1955). Allen County (Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Allen_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=90803.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 1, p. 56. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.