From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
Butler County, Kansas U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Butler County, Kansas, in the east-central part of the state, has a Mennonite settlement in its northwest corner, which in the 1950s included the following congregations, the first three of which were members of the General Conference Mennonite Church and the fourth a member of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite: the Emmaus Mennonite Church near Whitewater, organized in 1877; the Zion Mennonite Church in Elbing, organized in 1883; the Swiss Mennonite Church near Whitewater, organized in 1885; and the Church of God in Christ Mennonite congregation at Burns, organized in 1939. In the city of Elbing the Berean Christian Laymen’s Association, a Mennonite corporation, owned and operated the Berean Academy, a four-year high school until 1966.


Author(s) Louis A Janzen
Date Published 1953


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Janzen, Louis A. "Butler County (Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 26 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Butler_County_(Kansas,_USA)&oldid=91308.

APA style

Janzen, Louis A. (1953). Butler County (Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Butler_County_(Kansas,_USA)&oldid=91308.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 486. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.