Zion Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located in Elbing, Butler County, Kansas, a member of the Western District Conference, was organized on 10 June 1883 with 14 charter members, who were a part of the immigrant group which came to Kansas in 1876 from Heubuden and Ladekopp, West Prussia. Originally worshiping with the Emmaus Mennonite Church near Whitewater, they soon found the distance to that church too great and built their own church one-half mile east and one mile north of Elbing. When this first building became too small, a new church was built in Elbing, and dedicated on 19 October 1924, which building is still in use.
The church has shown an active concern for home and foreign missions. It assisted in the founding of Berean Academy in Elbing in 1946. Missionaries and ministers coming from the church have been the following: Marie Dyck, later Mrs. Ernst Kuhlman, to China in 1906; Abraham H. Regier, ordained in 1905; Henry J. Dyck, ordained in 1905; Walter H. Dyck, ordained in 1936; Paul Kuhlman, ordained as missionary to China in 1936; Arnold J. Regier, ordained to the ministry in 1940.
Pastors who served the church since its founding have included the following: Peter Dyck 1883-1885, Cornelius H. Regier 1885-1921, Jacob W. Regier 1892-1919, John P. Andres 1907-1932, Henry J. Dyck 1921-1951, Cornelius J. Dyck 1951-1954, and Waldo W. Kaufman 1954- . The membership in 1957 was 152.
|Author(s)||Cornelius J Dyck|
 Cite This Article
Dyck, Cornelius J. "Zion Mennonite Church (Elbing, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 17 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zion_Mennonite_Church_(Elbing,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=79044.
Dyck, Cornelius J. (1959). Zion Mennonite Church (Elbing, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zion_Mennonite_Church_(Elbing,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=79044.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.