Huron Hutterite Colony (Benard, Manitoba, Canada)
Huron Hutterite Bruderhof, four miles (6.4 kilometers) north of Benard, Manitoba, was founded in 1918 by 19 families with their preachers Joseph and Michael Waldner, who were brothers. The colony sold its Huron Hutterite Colony holdings in South Dakota, 12 miles (19.3 kilometers) northeast of Huron and gave the new Bruderhof the same name. The reason for the migration was the more liberal provisions made for conscientious objectors to military service. On 14 February 1926, Joseph Glanzer was chosen preacher and confirmed in office on 9 December 1934. Preacher Michael Waldner was chosen on 3 March 1940. In 1947 the Bruderhof numbered 163, of whom 64 were baptized members.
In 2017 the Huron Hutterite Colony was a Schmiedeleut Group 2 colony.
Elie, Manitoba (coordinates: 49.952778 -97.855833 W [49˚57′ 10″ N, 97˚51′ 21″ W])
Box 329, Elie, Manitoba, R0H 0H0
Managers and Ministers
|Willie Kleinsasser||Dave Waldner||2006|
|Willie Kleinsasser||Dave Waldner||2010|
|James Waldner||Joseph Waldner||2015|
|James Waldner||Joseph Waldner||2017|
|Date Published||September 2017|
Cite This Article
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "Huron Hutterite Colony (Benard, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2017. Web. 20 Feb 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Huron_Hutterite_Colony_(Benard,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=154464.
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (September 2017). Huron Hutterite Colony (Benard, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 February 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Huron_Hutterite_Colony_(Benard,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=154464.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 846. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.