Hylkema, Teerd Oeds Ma Hylke (1888-1962)
Teerd Oeds Ma Hylke Hylkema, b. 16 June 1888, had great influence among Dutch Mennonites. As pastor he served the Mennonite congregations in Giethoorn (1912-1929), Amersfoort (1929-36), and Amsterdam (1936-1949). He was the founder of the Vereniging voor Gemeentedagen (Union for Retreats), serving as chairperson, 1917-1927. It was during these years that the building at Elspeet was erected (camps and retreat centers). Upon his initiative retreat centers were also erected in the Giethoorn congregation. Hylkema was the primary inspiration for the building of the well-known brotherhood house, Fredeshiem in 1929 and gave new life to the center at Bilthoven.
In his longing for witnessing, serving, and peace-loving congregations he did much for the cause of peace. He was chairman of the Doopsgezinde Vredesgroep (Dutch Mennonite Peace Society), a member of the executive committee of the Dutch peace center Heerenwegen at Zeist, an adviser to the government commission on conscientious objectors, and an active participant in the national peace bureau. Hylkema was already active in behalf of refugees before World War II. With his help hundreds of Russian Mennonite refugees immigrated to North and South America. He arranged for the transport of Jewish children to London. During World War II (1940-1945) he gave much help to a variety of refugee camps and other camps. He was the primary leader for Dutch help to Mennonite refugees. He died 13 September 1962.
Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1963): 17-20.
Cite This Article
Hofman, R. "Hylkema, Teerd Oeds Ma Hylke (1888-1962)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1987. Web. 20 Sep 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hylkema,_Teerd_Oeds_Ma_Hylke_(1888-1962)&oldid=141167.
Hofman, R. (1987). Hylkema, Teerd Oeds Ma Hylke (1888-1962). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 September 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hylkema,_Teerd_Oeds_Ma_Hylke_(1888-1962)&oldid=141167.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.