From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Menno Chapel Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), better known as the New Stark (Ohio) Mennonite Church, and often called simply Chapel, a member of the Ohio Mennonite Conference, was not organized until 1876 but some of the members had moved in from Stark County, Ohio, as early as 1839. Children and grandchildren of Bishop John Thut of Bluffton made up the majority of the congregation, never very large. Menno Chapel was built a mile west of New Stark in 1878. John Blosser was bishop for many years. He was followed by his brother Noah, who took his congregation into the General Conference of Mennonites of North America when it disagreed with the discipline of the Ohio and Eastern A.M. Joint Conference about 1924. After his death ministers connected with the Witmarsum Theological Seminary at Bluffton, Ohio, served the congregation. Later the members joined with the few remaining members of the New Stark Presbyterian Church to form the New Stark Community Church.

See Chapel Mennonite Church


Author(s) John S Umble
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Umble, John S. "Menno Chapel Mennonite Church (New Stark, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Menno_Chapel_Mennonite_Church_(New_Stark,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=89630.

APA style

Umble, John S. (1957). Menno Chapel Mennonite Church (New Stark, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Menno_Chapel_Mennonite_Church_(New_Stark,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=89630.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 574-575. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.